Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Single Serve Pies

This is my second blog for the day.  (Look at me, being all productive and stuff!)  I thought that I would share something else that I made today and it's not exactly a "recipe", but an idea. 

I have had these small pie making tools in my possession for a while and since we are still staying inside, I decided that it was time to put them to use.  The metal one is from Pampered Chef (I have no idea how I acquired this or even how long I've owned it).  It was more than likely supposed to be for a sandwich to seal them and cut the crust off like those yummy ones that are sold in the freezer section, but I thought it would work just as well for mini pies.  The other is one that I found at Wal-mart and I believe it was only $4.88.  Oh, and it's made by Wilton.


This is what the Wilton one looked like out of the box and opened...


I also had a can of caramel apple pie filling in the pantry and made sure that I put it to good use.  All I needed now was pie crust.  Now, I could have just as easily made my own, but since my wife was going to the store anyways, I had her pick up a pre-made one and make my life just a tiny bit easier.


All that was left now was a little egg wash and some cinnamon sugar mixture.  I rolled out the crust and used the Wilton pie cutter to cut the circles that I needed.  I then filled the crusts with filling (2 tablespoons), brushed egg wash on the edges to seal the crusts and pressed the pie maker closed.  Then, brushed with egg wash on the top, sprinkled on the cinnamon sugar mixture and pricked with a fork so that the steam escapes.  Viola!  Pie.  I then placed them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat and placed in a 400 degree oven until golden brown.  My brother in law said that they taste pretty close to the ones that a popular taco place sells. And since I love those, that made my day!



No comments:

Post a Comment