Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Balsamic Chicken... Fix It And Forget It

I absolutely LOVE my slow cookers.  They have to be one of my favorite appliances, next to my Kitchenaid mixers, that is.  :)  Any time that I can find a recipe converted to a slow cooker one, I have to try it!  This is one of the newest ones added to my ever-growing collection.  Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1/2c balsamic vinegar
1T olive oil
1t dried oregano
1t dried basil
1t dried rosemary
1/2t dried thyme
salt and pepper

Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of your slow cooker sleeve.  Add chicken and salt and pepper each piece.  Place sliced onions on top of chicken, then add all of the herbs and garlic.  Finally, add vinegar and tomatoes.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.  Serving suggestion: serve over angel hair pasta.

Before it cooked...


My Notes...

I used frozen chicken in this recipe today because I forgot to thaw it before hand, I just cooked it a little while longer.   Another reason I love the slow cooker!

I'm also a HUGE fan of short cuts in the grocery store and let me tell you, companies are coming out with a lot of them lately.  For the garlic, I used the crushed garlic cubes found in the frozen section next to the veggies.  1 cube equals 1 clove.  I chose this because who wants a huge hunk of garlic accidentally being eaten?  This way, the garlic flavor is still there and it kinda dissolves in the sauce.  You can also get the jar of already minced garlic in the produce section.

The frozen garlic that I bought looks like this...


And here is the finished product (before plating, of course)...




No comments:

Post a Comment