Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pasta: Made From Scratch

Don't panic, it's easier than you think, I swear!

I've always wanted to make homemade pasta, but every recipe that I found called for semolina.  I searched and searched every grocery store that I ever walked in and I never found it.  So, eventually, I gave up.  Then, one day I was watching the Food Network and one of the chefs was making pasta...with all purpose flour!!  My heart literally jumped for joy!!

My first mission now, was to get the pasta roller kit for my KitchenAids. I mean, if I don't have to roll the dough out by hand, why should I?  So, off I went to search the local stores.  After 2 weeks of searching and realizing that I would have to order it from online in order not to have to amputate my left arm to purchase it.  I was deciding which store/site I was going to buy the kit from and while walking through Wal-mart, I saw one on the shelf.  Were my eyes deceiving me?  Could this be true?  I could buy the kit right now and not have to wait for it to be ship?  Why, yes, yes I could!  The pasta gods were definitely smiling on me that day.

Mission 2: drying rack.  I pretty much knew that this was going to have to be ordered online since I didn't see one anywhere while I was comparison shopping for the kit.  I checked a few stores anyways, just in case.  I had seen a rack once while online and it was $13 plus shipping for one rack.  I had a feeling that I would need 2 since I know that each batch of pasta dough makes a lot.  That would mean $26 plus shipping plus more waiting.  I didn't want to do that because I was itching to make this pasta!  So, I got creative.  I went to the laundry section where they have clothespins and hangers and such and I found it.  A dryer rack.  Who says drying racks are just for clothes?

So, now I'm ready.  Ready to make my first ever batch of pasta.  Here's the recipe...

  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

  •  Mound the flour on a clean work surface. Hollow out the center making a well in the middle of the flour with steep sides.

    Break the eggs into the well. Add the salt, and olive oil to the hollow center and gently mix together with a fork. Gradually start incorporating the flour by pulling in the flour from the sides of the well. As you incorporate more of the flour, the dough will start to take shape.


    With your hands or a bench scraper continue working the dough until it comes together. If the dough is too dry, add a little water; if too wet or sticky, add a little flour.

    Begin kneading the dough and keep kneading until it becomes smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. At this point, set the dough aside, cover it with plastic, and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. You can store the dough in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, but allow it to return to room temperature before rolling it out.


    Divide the pasta dough into 4 even sections. Keep each section covered with plastic wrap or a clean towel while you work with each one. Flour the dough, the rollers of a pasta roller (or your rolling pin), your hands, and the work surface.

    If using a pasta machine: Flatten 1 of the of the dough pieces between your hands or with a floured rolling pin until it forms a thick oval disk. Dust the disk, the roller, and your hands with additional flour. Flour a baking sheet to hold the rolled out finished pasta.

    With the roller on the widest setting, pass the pasta through the machine's rollers a few times until it is smooth. Fold the dough over into 1/3, and continue to pass through a few more times until the pasta is smooth again. Begin adjusting the pasta machine settings to become thinner, passing the dough through a few times at each setting.


    If rolling the pasta by hand: Flatten a dough piece into a thick oval disk with your hands. Flour a baking sheet for the rolled out finished pasta. Place the oval dough disk on a floured work surface, and sprinkle with additional flour. Begin rolling out the dough with a floured rolling pin working from the center of the dough outwards, constantly moving the dough and lifting it to make sure it's not sticking.


    That's it!  Now all you have to do is dry it, freeze it or cook it!  I made my first batch so I could post on here and now I'm going to make more for dinner.  :)

    Don't forget to experiment and add flavors or herbs or ANYTHING!  Add them to the eggs before you incorporate the flour, though.  If the dough is too dry, just add a little water.  Too wet, add a little flour.

    Have fun!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment